Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Allergic to...Bed Bugs

The job was given as an allergic reaction with the whole body swelling up.

This isn’t a good sign in an allergic reaction, as it could mean that the patient is going into anaphylactic shock, which is a very severe and life-threatening form of allergic reaction.

I arrived, and quickly made my way upstairs to where the patient was sitting on the floor in the bedroom.  She’d been diagnosed as being allergic to something four weeks ago, but as yet they hadn’t tracked down what she was allergic to.  She was a little swollen, but she wasn’t in a life-threatening condition, and she was continually scratching.  I did her blood pressure, and took a reading of her oxygen levels and her temperature, which were all normal.

The crew arrived quickly after me, so I did a quick handover, and left them to it.

When I spoke to the crew later, the girl that was attending said “Hey Steve, you know that woman?  Well half way to hospital she produced a jar with bugs in.  They were bed bugs that had grown, and she was covered in them which is why she was swollen and itchy.”

I took myself off the road and had a shower.  Its making me itchy just writing about it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yet another complete waste of the taxpayers' money, then.

7:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*shudders*.... I sooo wish I had washed the bedsheets today... I so know I am going to think about that tonight in bed.

Elliott

8:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whatever turns you on, elliot!

12:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose I asked for that - I meant as in a scratch an itch and think oh god bed bugs!! rather than in a "Oh god! Oh yeah! Bed Bugs!"

1:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home