Sunday, December 25, 2005

Bloody Annoyed Now

I'm sorry, but my Christmas Cheer went out of the window this afternoon.

I went to a job where a GP weas on scene with a genuinely ill person (they were all genuine today - makes a change!) who didn't want to go to hospital. After completing the job, I went back to station to re-stock on oxygen and a few masks. I'd booked on station on the MDT, went to get the oxygen and masks, and the phone rang. I couldn't hear the MDT ringing with a job, so a bit confused, I answered.

"Hello, 50"
"Hiya - can you go out on standby please? Gold control don't want you on station."
"1) Ask them if they're authorising me to go out without oxygen and masks, and 2) don't they know it's Christmas Day?"
"Sorry, I know but they spotted you pressing green at station and have told us to ask you to go out on standby"

Now I don't mind working over Christmas - I don't have kids, so I like to work to allow those that have kids to spend Christmas Day with them. Or I did.

I've now cancelled my overtime for the new year period - I'm buggered if I'm going to go into work to help them out only to not be allowed to go near the ambulance station.

And I know I'm not the only one this has happened to, and I also know there are others who have cancelled overtime for next week because of it.

Bollocks to them

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Considering how short staffed they were yesterday and how the situation over New Year is likely to be even worse (no-one wants to do overtime coz they just got their AFC money), doing something to piss off those nice enough to come in was really not a smart move by the Nee Naw Service! Hope you have a nice New Year off!

5:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quite right too! Don't blame you in the slightest. I also work in the NHS but I'm pleased to say we have been treated a bit better. I'm on all 8 public holidays this year (we have 8 in Scotland, not sure what it is in England) but we're provided with free food and given good breaks. Makes a nice change, even if the patients do keep on calling!!

4:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done, Sir, for cancelling your overtime! Let's hope many others follow suit. Balls to Bradley and his memo! Let's see him and his minions out there on some trucks on New Year's Eve.

5:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooooh! Handbags!

7:17 pm  
Blogger Steve said...

Hi Sassy, I work on an FRU and during the day we're expected to be out on standby for most of the shift when we're not doing calls, with only 20 mins at a time spent on station.
Normally on Christmas Day control turn a blind eye to how long you spend on station chatting to crews, but not this year.

5:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home