Thursday, September 14, 2006

New Road Layout

We've got a new road layout near our station. They've moved some of the pedestrian refuges in the middle of the road more to one side, narrowing one side of the road, and put in a bus lane on the wider side. All this so the bus lane can operate for three hours a day in the afternoon.

We'd commented that the road layout looked dodgy to say the least and we're expecting an increase in the number of calls to RTCs on that road. The other day, they'd just finished putting in the red tarmac in the bus lane in the morning. By the afternoon, we'd started to see the first skid marks appearing on the newly laid road.

Then yesterday, our first call. Fortunately it was nothing serious, and to be fair, probably nothing to do with the bus lane at all, but a cyclist had been riding down the bus/cycle lane, passing a line of cars, and someone had opened their car door right in front of him. Luckily, he only had a few bruises and dented pride, his cycle helmet was intact with no marks and his bike was undamaged. We did all our obs, asked the cyclist if he wanted to go to hospital - which he didn't, and waited with him until the police arrived.

I can't help wondering how long it will be before we're called to something more serious along that road.

On another note, it will be my blog's first birthday in just over a week, and I'm coming up on my 100th post. I'll have to see if I can find something "properly" interesting to write about for that one....

2 Comments:

Blogger Carmelo said...

Well done, 100 posts. I'm starting to worry that I've done 62 in 4 months..
..I just realised you're in Southwest London, what part? That's where I am at the moment.

2:05 pm  
Blogger Steve said...

Carmelo

Send me an e-mail from an address I can reply to.

I don't publish the exact area I work in order to preserve patient confidentiality.

9:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home