Friday, November 04, 2005

DIY

Since my overtime shift on the FRU on Monday, it's been a busy old week. My crewmate and his wife (who is also a paramedic in the LAS) moved into their new home last Friday.

The last few days have been spent at their house helping with painting, replacing floorboards, laying carpets, building shoe cabinets and bookcases (the flat pack ones from Argos - not from scratch....I'm not that clever!) and putting shelves up. Not to mention catching the cat to inject it with insulin - the first insulin dependant diabetic feline I've come across!

I'm knackered now - I feel like I need another holiday! Still, no time for that.....back to work on the ambulance tomorrow night. Weekend nights over the bonfire night weekend - deep joy! Got an observer out with us on Saturday night - I hope the "observers curse" strikes again.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A diabetic cat - are you serious?!

8:52 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My aunt had a diabetic dog.

9:16 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Diabetic animals are more common than people think. They are just like humans, except you can't do a stick test for blood glucose, the vet has to take a small blood sample, but the get injections like everyone else. I remember my first diagnosis was of a diabetic cat although that was a few years ago now....

11:32 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You learn something new every day...

1:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had a diabetic cat for over two years, she had twice daily injections into the scruff of her neck.

Most owners get used to it but we got our diabetic girl as her previous owner couldn't cope with the needles and our vet knew we'd be fine with them.

Trying to explain dietary rules to the cat was pretty hard as her grasp of English didn't go much beyond 'food' 'good girl' and 'shall I turn the heater on then?' She eventually unbalanced herself with free range pigeon ;) one too many times and shuffled off to chase mice in the sky.

3:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home