Wednesday, December 12, 2007

FREDA

You may remember that I had a bit of a whinge about FRED. Well now, we have FREDA. Beaker has posted in more detail about her.

In short, Freda is pretty much the same as FRED except it's for ambulances, has a larger mileage range, and works in a more complicated way. This could be the reason why when it was first switched on, it had crashed the entire system inside 30 seconds.


Well Freda's now been "sorted" and has been switched on.

The word "sorted" is being used very loosely - a crew got sent to Notting Hill from just outside Putney station, and the other night, Barry & I ended up seeing Canary Wharf, and after begging control to "hide" us from her, we managed to get most of the way back to our own area via the Limehouse Link (it's always mentioned on radio travel bulletins, but I didn't know where it was until the early hours of Saturday morning) and Tower Bridge. To add to the pandemonium, Freda was tagging every job, including jobs in the street, as a high risk address - it tells you to contact EOC immediately - so of course, crews did.

I really felt sorry for the team on our desk in control. Freda was clearly causing havoc. They were trying to overrule her, cancelling crews that were being sent stupid distances, but Freda just insisted sending the job straight back down. It seemed from our perspective that the Humans were fighting the Computer for control of the service.

I really hope they switch her off on New Year's Eve - I'm working nights, and have visions of ending up in Hendon!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha!! She's a lot better than the day we had her on for an hour!! I believe the "override" button has been put in place but isn't always working - and it only last for 5 minutes. At least the top bods are trying and have been listening to us which makes a change!!

And what's wrong with canary wharf?!!?!? It's not that far from the SW!! Better than our F2 crew ending up in E5!!

Oh and as per your comment on my blog - come and observe with me - email me and we can sort out something. If you wanted to of course!! Our watch will show you how it's supposed to be done!!

2:43 pm  
Blogger Steve said...

Yep - absolutely serious about observing. Can't find an e-mail link on your blog or profile, so if you send me an e-mail from the link on my blog, I'll e-mail you back.

8:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

newbieatcac@hotmail.co.uk

12:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why haven't you emailed me yet??? Scared to come into EOC as it's been so long!! newbieatcac@hotmail.co.uk
I've put it back onto my profile now - hadn't realised it wasn't on there before!!

1:44 am  
Blogger Steve said...

Blimey, you're an impatient one! E-mail sent.

12:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home