Monday, July 20, 2009

Hero

The call isn't for a serious problem. In fact it's for a very minor problem, but the carer panicked.

But I don't mind.

Because the lovely old man I'm talking to fought in WWII and was in the D-Day Landings.
And got his legs crushed by a tank.
But he doesn't complain about his scarred legs.
He thinks himself lucky because he can still manage to walk around using his stick, and only takes two tablets a day.

He's not doing bad for a 91 year old war veteran.

And talking to him, he remembers every detail of what he saw and did as though it was yesterday. You can see in his eyes that he's proud of what he did that day.

And that's why I don't mind just sitting and talking to him.

He's a real hero.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Firstly, Hi Steve, I cant believe I have only found your blog (after seeing it on a blog roll from an Aussie Paramedic blog!)

As for the war veterans, where I work, depending on what direction we get sent out on for a job, we have a number of locations that have at least a 30min drive into A&E. Sometimes it can be a loooonnnnggg 30 mins, but I have had a number of times when I wished it could have been much much longer.
These are the times when, like you, I have a war veteran in the back who likes to share his stories.
I once had a lady who used to be in bomber command pushing the plans around on the big map! Fascinating people who dont ever get the respect they deserve!. I always make sure I shake their hands and say thank you to them for what they did for us.

9:04 pm  
Blogger Spike said...

Good to see you blogging again.

3:41 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good health & nice positive thinking of old man.
Paramedic Program

12:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home